25 x 25 x 25 cm cube
glass, fiber board, organic material, other
A Story is related to every picture of Secret Garden. Seven women, who are different for age, job, religion and origin, named the pictures they chose. They interpreted the look of the woman in the picture and, writing in first person, they imagined the other woman melting with their own identity. In doing so, they allowed the woman in the picture to think and express her voice. This emotional translation of the artwork represents an invitation for the viewers to start a research for their own identity.
Over the years Alessandra Calò has looked for and recovered old hotographic slides that depict women in the early 20th century. In the Secret Garden project, the artist shows them inviting the audience to join the outcomes of her research work. Alessandra asks the viewer to make ‘a travel in order to discover something lost. Travelling through her work and by means of a box that acts as an emotional container and a shiny window that mirrors the negative of a human figure, we could discover the secret garden that blooms into ourselves, and that it takes just a moment to appreciate its flowers, scent, and colours… And to come home from this travel with the awareness of its existence’.
It is not only a matter of observing externally a human figure with a face, dresses, and a pose that tell about her story, but of moving beyond the appearance of the “negative” and getting access into her secret soul, story, and memory. Into her secret garden.
Alessandra Calò (Taranto, Italy, 1977) lives and works in Reggio Emilia. She developed independently her passion for art, starting with an emphasis on photography and moving towards experimenting with materials and creating installations.
Dominant in her work are memory and recollection, defined as a state of mind combined with reality, in stead of evoking a moment lost for ever. Next to photography she avails herself of appropriation, based on a language meant for suggesting emotions without describing them too much.
NEED & NICE TO KNOWS
– “Edition of 20 + 1 AP” means that 20 prints will be made in this size and that there is one additional “artist’s proof”.
– Prints may be made in an analog way (dark room) or digitally. “Archival inkjet prints” are digital prints created using a high-quality inkjet printer, typically on fine art paper.
– The advertised size of the image is approximate and refers to the size of the print (without passepartout or frame).
– Price shown includes sales tax. For delivery addresses outside the EU no sales tax is required, and will be removed during check-out (however you may have to pay import duties).
– Each print comes with an edition number and a certificate of authenticity.
– All works are readily available (possible exception: a print available in different sizes).
For any additional question don’t hesitate to contact us.
NUTTIG & AARDIG TE WETEN
– “Edition of 20 + 1 AP” betekent dat er 20 afdrukken worden gemaakt in deze grootte en dat er één “artist’s proof” is.
– Afdrukken kunnen analoog zijn gemaakt (in donkere kamer) of digitaal. “Archival inkjet prints” zijn digitale afdrukken gemaakt met een inkjetprinter van hoge kwaliteit, doorgaans op fine art papier.
– De vermelde afmeting van het werk is bij benadering en refereert aan de grootte van de afdruk zonder passepartout of frame.
– Vermelde prijzen zijn inclusief BTW.
– Elke afdruk wordt geleverd met editienummer en een certificaat van authenticiteit.
– Alle werken zijn direct beschikbaar (mogelijke uitzondering: afdrukken beschikbaar in meerdere afmetingen).
Aarzel niet contact op te nemen voor meer informatie.